Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring has Sprung

Dare I say it? Shhhhhhhhhhhh. . . . . . 


Spring is coming! 


We had a snowstorm last week and received a fresh 8 inches of snow, making the town pretty again, and the skiers for the upcoming Inga Låmi and Birkebeiner ski races very happy. But today the temps soared into the mid-40s and those 8 inches were gone like that.

Can't you just feel the warmth?
Basking in the golden glow of afternoon spring sunshine.
I can't say that I'm going to miss the snow much. This winter--much like last summer--has been a bit of a bust. We have been so occupied with house projects, that we've had essentially no free time for fun time. We've had zero balance in our lives the last 6 months. I've been reading through my blog entries from last year at this time, and was struck by how. . . . happy I sounded. On this weekend last year, I completed my first ski race in 18 years and the adrenaline was palpable in my blog entry. This year, I've been on a single 1/2 kilometer ski tour with Greta. Maybe I was just choosing to write about the new, culturally interesting experiences, and now the novelty has worn off and nothing is fresh and shiny and new. . . but I just don't have that same "glow" about life in Norway right now. It has been downright hard. 

Friends and readers alike have kindly reminded me of just what an amazing experience this whole thing is. A very dear, intelligent, amazingly successful and down-to-earth friend wrote, "I spent Christmas in Rochester, Minnesota and have never even been to New York City. You had Christmas in Paris and live in Norway." 


I do need to keep this in perspective, but I also need to accept the fact that all the good things that Norway has to offer me aren't going to be handed to me on a silver platter. I'm gonna have to really dig deep and work hard for it. (Reality kind of sucks, doesn't it?) We are hoping that spring brings a little more sunshine into our lives, fewer house projects, and hopefully more time to enjoy Norway. . . and not just curse it.

I'm basking, too.
Now throw my ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment